Online Course Registration
Earn CE Credits – 365 days a year – 24/7!
Already registered? Click here to enter your online class.
Housing First Minnesota Members and Non-Members are welcome to register!
Questions? Contact Tom Gavaras, Education & Special Programs Manager: Tom@HousingFirstMN.org or 651-697-7592
Registration Problems? Contact Mary Beth Blom, Education & Special Programs Assistant: MaryBeth@HousingFirstMN.org or 651-697-7584
Peter Kulczyk, Green Code Knowledge | This course is only available until July 31, 2020
Shawn Nelson, New Spaces
Learn the basics of business management to improve your results, improve your management skills, financial literacy, and learn lessons from real world examples.
CYBER SECURITY FOR BUILDERS: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CYBER SECURITY THREATS AND SOCIAL MEDIA ATTACKS
Stephen Yoch, Felhaber Larson
This course reviews cyber security threats and the legal landscape. How to limit risk, respond to cyber security breaches and social media attacks.
- Understand the cyber security threats and legal landscape
- Identify limiting risk and responding to breaches and attacks
HOW TO DEAL WITH A CRAZED HOMEOWNER:
Stephen Yoch, Felhaber Larson
Builders are increasingly facing aggressive and hostile homeowners. Properly handling these individuals can mean the difference between another challenging day at the office which is carefully and effectively resolved versus facing protracted litigation and huge potential liability. Learn how to effectively respond to and prevent consumer complaints, consistent with the law and best practices.
- Identify how to effectively respond to and prevent consumer complaints consistent with the law and best practices
Lisa Render, BASF
This course geared towards residential and multifamily homes and covers the basic evolution in insulation practices, discusses why we insulate, the critical areas to insulate, and various insulation materials available.
- Explain the history and evolution of insulations
- Recognize where to insulate
- Correctly identify what types of insulation are being used
- Identify attributes and limitations of insulation
- Successfully learn how to achieve durability and required R value
Bill Gschwind, Minnesota Construction Law Services PLLC
Are you compliant? This course will provide an overview of the major requirements with which employers must comply to avoid liability and the penalties for failure to comply.
- Recognize wage-related information that is required to be provided to new employees
- Correctly identify required payroll information that employers need to provide to employees
- Successfully learn how employers properly classify employees
- Recognize how to ensure that employers properly pay all employees the compensation to which they are entitled
Dave Johnson, Glenbrook Lumber
Permanent wood foundation has been around for decades. The features and benefits they provide have not changed since they first came on the market. However, recent International Residential Code changes that the State of Minnesota adopted
in 2015 in regard to foundation insulation provide a new opportunity for builders to reconsider a permanent wood foundation.
- Effectively communicate the Minnesota 2015 code changes regarding foundation insulation requirements
- Identify 2015 foundation insulation requirement, you will be able consider how a permanent wood foundation can meet the code change without adding new materials
- Identify the design and installation characteristics of the permanent wood foundation systems
- Effectively consider how permanent wood foundations can provide a cost-effective foundation solution that meets code change and provides other features and benefits
Paul Morin, The Energy Conservatory
Even many normal homes have severe problems during weather extremes; a wet summer, a cold winter, a snowy winter, a snowy cold winter. In other homes, a problem appears when something changed; added a furnace humidifier, a lawn sprinkler system, a set-back thermostat, or insulated the attic. Sometimes the problem is obvious, other times it is more subtle. This room is cold is colder than the others. Learn about what tools and techniques and building science are used to troubleshoot a variety of issues in homes.
- Identify four ways that moisture moves
- List the four steps of a moisture investigations
- List the basic tools required to diagnose problem homes
- Explain the importance of sealing air leaks into an attic
- Explain solutions for ice damming problems
Peter Kulczyk, Green Code Knowledge
This course addresses the Minnesota building code and energy code requirements along with prescriptive installation methods for exterior envelope cavity wall insulation of single-family homes. This course was taught live in front of 100 students attending a Green Path Building Conference and consists of the presentation slides and instructor audio.
- Have a better understand the building code and energy code requirements for cavity wall installation
- Have a clear understanding of needed details and clarity on construction drawings
- Recognize the prescriptive installation methods of insulation, vapor retarders and air barriers
- Be able to locate the code provisions
Ross Anderson, The Energy Network Worldwide
This course focuses on why energy codes continue to push exterior insulation as the next step in making buildings more energy efficient. The building science behind adding insulation to the exterior and how it can be practically achieved will be discussed.
- Understand basic building science in the construction of the building shell
- Identify proper ventilation strategies for a tight structure
- Recognize the advantages of exterior insulation over current building practices
Janice Meyer, Housing First Minnesota
Learn the basics of business management to effectively run your organization. Obtain practical information in the areas of finance, human resources and document retention that you can put into practice today!
How to Register:
Instructions for Housing First Minnesota Members:
1. Sign into your Housing First Minnesota account.
Instructions for Non-members:
1. CLICK HERE to create a free Learner Profile.