Housing First Minnesota
Housing First Minnesota and the Housing First Minnesota Foundation have worked to support future members of the construction workforce through their scholarship program. The scholarships will help further their education and career goals within the residential homebuilding industry. $84,000 awarded in scholarships since 2014!
The deadline for applications for Housing First Minnesota to receive applications for the 2020-2021 scholarship program is now passed.
The Scholarship Committee is currently reviewing submissions and recipients will be contacted in April.
Contact Mary Beth at MaryBeth@HousingFirstMN.org
Who is Eligible?
- Is scheduled to graduate from high school, or obtain the equivalent, in Spring 2020, or
- Has a high school diploma, or equivalent, or
- Is a current post-secondary student
- Is a resident of, or intends to work in, the state of Minnesota
- Applicant intends to work in the residential construction industry
How to Qualify
Applicants must be high school graduates (or equivalent) or current post-secondary students pursuing a career in Residential Construction, or related field, carrying a minimum of nine credit hours per semester at an accredited post-secondary institution
between May 2020 - June 2021.
What Steps to Take
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY HOUSING FIRST MINNESOTA BY MARCH 16, 2020.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Applicant must fully complete the scholarship application, including submitting transcripts.
- Applicant must submit two letters of recommendation from a teacher or school counselor, current or former employer, or mentor. At least one teacher recommendation is suggested.
- Applicant must submit an essay as outlined in the scholarship application covering intended career goals and interest in the home building industry.
Award recipients will be notified in April 2020.
Things to Know:
- Scholarship award amounts are determined by the Selection Committee. All Selection Committee and Housing First Minnesota decisions are deemed final.
- Scholarship awards are limited to academic tuition and related learning expenses (ex. technology fees. Course fee exclusions include, but are not limited to, meal plans, parking, activity fees, etc.), and paid directly to the
educational institution. Recipient is responsible for any other expense not related to academic tuition and related learning expenses.
- To ensure an unbiased application process, applicant names will be unavailable to the Selection Committee. Scoring will be based only on academics, community and extracurricular involvement, leadership potential, and construction
- If recipient is unable to accept the award, the Selection Committee will choose a replacement.
- If a recipient withdraws from courses for any reason, the scholarship award will be forfeited, and any unused funds shall be returned to Housing First Minnesota.
- The Selection Committee will determine annual scholarships based on funds available and the number of applicants. Recipients may reapply two consecutive years if he/she maintains enrollment and provides a letter of recommendation
from a faculty member.
- Scholarship award funds must be used on applicable expenses incurred between May 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021.
- Most recent high school or post-secondary transcripts
- At least two letters of recommendation from unrelated individuals
- A typed, double spaced essay of not more than 500 words as to why you feel qualified to receive this scholarship.
- Please include details such as:
- What are your career goals?
- Why are you interested in the home building industry?
- Any previous engagement with the residential construction industry?
- Anything you wish to share with the Selection Committee.